Thursday, June 7, 2018

I Got Sucked Into BattleTech

Got a new computer recently. It runs both the new BattleTech game and MechWarrior Online really smoothly, in contrast with my old rig (which lagged hard in MWO, and iterated a turn in BattleTech in what seemed like an eternity).

Playing these games has eaten into my evenings of late, and hence no blog-writing. D&D continues in person ... just not so much online at the moment. I aim to get a few more posts up this month. Something about Dwarf-items for sale, probably a recap of the aftermath of the Goblin King's death/capture and subsequent events, etc.

Maybe some BattleTech stuff too--this weekend I'll have a chance to run a game with my MechWarrior: Age of Destruction minis that otherwise just sit in the closet gathering dust. Run a game that is--referee a scenario--rather than just play a strict battle of attrition of player versus player. A scenario with stakes for both sides, hopefully to carry into future games ... Maybe the beginning of a wargame campaign? (I'm going to have to compete with my friend's Star Wars: Armada game, of which we also hope to run a game ...)

But it's just so much fun to hammer enemy 'mechs with long-range missiles from my Timberwolf battlemechs ...



Did I mention BattleTech and MechWarrior? I love the franchise. It's a guilty pleasure--I gladly read the Michael Stackpole setting-novels even though they're atrocious. I played untold hours of MechWarrior 2 and MechWarrior 4 when I was younger. Briefly whetted my appetite for the miniatures-game during high school with MechWarrior: Dark Age/Age of Destruction. Now I play (I wish they were untold) hours of MechWarrior Online and BattleTech on Steam ...

But I dream of playing a tabletop BattleTech wargame campaign ...

I dream of a Tony Bath style campaign, fought with endosteel behemoths armed with lasers and particle projection cannons, rather than of war elephants and cataphracts with lances ...

But a campaign nonetheless, with kingdoms led by individual men and women, striving to expand or better their states, husbanding their armies--not across the fields and mountains of Terra, but across the interminable darks of interstellar space ...

------

Clan Wolf shall be victorious!


No comments:

Post a Comment